Solutions aren’t found in the answers…
…but in the questions!
Many times there can be many answers to a question that don’t actually provide the solution for what is being sought out. Let me illustrate with a story about the top branded company in the world.
In the late 70’s and early 80’s Coca-Cola’s competition was fierce. Coca-Cola had always been about one thing – being the #1 provider of soft drink syrup in the world. With this as the goal, success meant owning more of the market share of soft drink syrup sold around the world than any other company. They had to constantly keep their eyes on what the competition was doing, how they were doing it and if they were in front of or behind them in market shares. Then, in the 1980’s then Coca-Cola Chairman Roberto C. Goizueta changed the question.
Goizueta discovered, through market analysis, that the average person around the world drank about sixty-four ounces of fluid per day. They also found out that soft drink products provided less than 1% of that total. Think about it, Coke and their competitors were fighting over only 1% of the entire fluid consumption of people from around the world.
Then Goizueta changed the question. Instead of asking “how do we measure up against our competition” he began to ask, “How can we increase our market share of the amount of fluids that people around the world drink per day?” The competition was no longer about the 1% that they and the other soft drink companies were competing for but rather the other 99% of what the people around the world were drinking.
With this Coke became free to innovate with all kinds of drinks. Their number of drink brands soared and with that so did their profits. According to company reports during Goizueta’s time as CEO he created more wealth for investors than any other CEO in history – simply by changing the question.
Every person and every organization/church lives within the boundaries of a question.
So, what’s the question you live your life within?
What’s the question for your organization/church?
This is the first part of a three part series – watch for more!!!
Note: Though I drink Coke products I still have to pay for them. Don’t take the above article as an endorsement of Coca-Cola Inc. – it’s just a great illustration.
For the past thirty-nine years Wayne has served the Church in local churches ranging in size from 50 to 4,500, in two denominational roles as well with an international missions organization. Through these varied experiences God has developed in him a deep passion for His Church and the leaders that lead her.
Wayne’s calling is see the re-missionalization of the Church in North America! MORE>>